- Doctor of Philosophy (Computer Science) from Texas A&M University (2016)
- Bachelor of Arts (Computer Science) from Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota (2011)
Thesis: A Shape Comparison Technique for Use in Sketch-based Tutoring Systems
Honors & Awards
- Susan M. Arseven ’75 Make-A-Difference Award, WISE Conference 2013, TAMU. Febrary 2013.
- Innovative Applications of AI Deployed Application Award, IAAI 2012, Toronto, Ontario. July 2012.
- 2nd Place Graduate Oral Presentation Winner, 15th Annual Student Research Week, TAMU. March 2012.
- CRA-W Distributed Research Experience for Undergraduates Grant, DREU 2010, TAMU. June 2010.
- Charlene J. Tjarden Resident Assistant of the Year Award, Student Life Awards 2010, SMUMN. April 2010.
- Hendrickson Institute Tomorrow’s Leaders Scholarship, SMUMN. March 2006.
- Valentine, S., Vides, F., Lucchese, G., Turner, D., Kim, H., Li, W., Linsey, J., and Hammond, T. Mechanix: A Sketch-Based Tutoring & Grading System for Free-Body Diagrams. AI Magazine, April 1, 2013. (Accepted – In Press) More info
Highly Selective Conferences
Valentine, S., Vides, F., Lucchese, G., Turner, D., Kim, H., Li, W., Linsey, J., and Hammond, T. Mechanix: A Sketch-Based Tutoring System for Statics Courses. The Twenty-Fourth Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 22-26, 2012. More info Download
Field, M., Valentine, S., Linsey, J., and Hammond, T. Sketch Recognition Algorithms for Comparing Complex and Unpredictable Shapes. Twenty-Third International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2011), Barcelona, Spain, July 16-22, 2011, pp. 2436–2441. (Acceptance rate: 400 of 1325, 30%.) More info Download
- Valentine, S., Field, M., Smith, A., and Hammond, T. A Shape Comparison Technique for Use in Sketch-based Tutoring Systems. 2011 Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 2011) Workshop on Sketch Recognition, Palo Alto, CA, February 13, 2011. More info Download
Valentine, S., Field, M., and Hammond, T. Just Truss Me: Symbol Recognition. 2010 Research Experience for Undergraduates, 2010. More info Download